Tuesday, January 10

10 of 366

As I was rushing for the elevator yesterday, I saw him get on. It was the back of his head, and then he turned around. I paused, hesitated, but I was already running late. If I'd only taken the road that I always took to the parking garage then I would've never had to see him. If I'd just been on time. Two minutes earlier.

Then I wouldn't have to board an elevator with him and ride it all the way up to the third floor (fourth, actually, because G is the first floor). He didn't even look at me. He didn't pause. He just... kept staring ahead of him.

He'd cut his hair shorter. He'd even shaved, I think. Three bodies separated us, but it felt like miles---the length of the Atlantic Ocean.

A part of me wished, for a moment, that he would turn and say over the three bodies, "Hi Quick! How are ya?"

But he wouldn't. I knew he wouldn't. So I stared ahead of me as well, because he wasn't going to return any sort of wave or hello. I was invisible now, a fly on the wall, and nothing could bridge that Atlantic-sized gap.



---------

Today I found out that I am very personable. Which is a good thing. I like being personable because it gives me a reason to be nice, and bubbly, even when I'm definitely not. I hate this. I want to leave.

Please, let graduation come soon.